Sunday, December 30, 2012

Christmas Hosts

I was lucky enough to host Christmas at my house this year! I'm happy about this because it means for once it was a travel free season. I'm really grateful for that because life is being sucked out of me and I would like to crawl into a deep hole and never come out. Wow. I sound like a perfect host, huh?

To entice the McMullans to come west for Christmas we offered to pay for one plane ticket. It worked!!! They arrived on Wednesday {19th} So fun to have them. Plus it was an extra treat to enjoy their company before the others arrived. Lucy especially loved their attention and quickly learned to say "Roger." They were SUPER helpful around the house and with the kids. I could get SO much done if I had them around all the time. ;)  Greatly appreciate their help and friendship.

Mom, Dad and Sam arrived on Friday {21.} They arrived around 4 and a few of us stayed awake to greet the Farnsworth who arrived close to 11 pm. YAY. The house was full. We kicked all the kids out of their bedrooms and each married couple got a room and Sam whatever couch he felt inclined to pass out on. The more I host the more I enjoy the layout of this home. I love that we can all be together but that there is enough space that you don't feel cramped or crowded. So great!

Earlier this month I emailed the Christmas schedule out. I decided to use the theme "Christmas Around the World." We had Friday, South American Christmas. Thanks to Austin's atlas book he already had a plan for us. He wanted to make Venezuelan Hallacas. And thanks to my most favorite resource {pinterest} I was able to find the recipe.  It wasn't very authentic and I was sure it was going to be an epic fail but it worked out and people actually tried it.


The McMullans had Saturday, European Christmas. They focused on Santa Lucia. They explained the basic traditions around Santa Lucia and then the kids made head wreaths {girls} or a cone hat {boys.} After the hats and wreath crowns were done they made buns to give to their parents. After they had finished baking they presented them to us while we listened to the famous "Santa Lucia" hymn. They treated us to a very hearty and tasty borsch for lunch.









That evening was our ward Christmas party. Spencer had been sick {and quarantined in my bedroom} with a fever all day. So Lucy and I stayed home from the party with him. 

Grandma and Grandpa had Sunday, Madagascar Christmas. I wanted this especially so we could prepare and get even MORE excited for their upcoming mission. They prepared 2 games that helped us learn about Madagascar. Austin read his atlas book like I read novels and so he schooled me in that game. Humble pie does not taste good! ;) They fixed a tasty pink rice and vegetable dish for dinner. 



It was really fun to try new dishes each day. I appreciate the effort everyone put forth to plan and prepare their meals and activities. It made being a host so much more enjoyable. I have such an amazing family! 

xoxo
{Roger that was for you.}

1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

I'm stealing your hiakas picture. (Sorry I probably butchered the spelling.) Celebrating the different Christmas' was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Thanks!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...