Thursday, March 12, 2015

Broken

March 1-7, 2015

Sunday 03.01
We had a regional broadcast. It was very good. I was even able to feel the spirit from the back row in the gym with 6 kids. There was technical difficulties and we ended early. Honestly I wasn't complaining. We had the Romans' family over for dinner. It was good for them to have the chance to visit with Tyler & Bree and Elaine. That afternoon/evening we said good-bye to our weekend guests and wished them safe travels. They were great guests and so wonderful to jump in with party planning and all my other crazy activities. Love my family and these crazy cousins.



                           
Monday 03.02
Big week for Kurt at work. They are switching the auto parts over to Car Quest. He was up and out of the house at literally the wee hours of the morning. Its going to be a long week for him.

At 5 am Ruth started throwing up. Spencer {who slept the entire weekend with a fever} also stayed home. I arranged carpool to school for the older two and drove them into Vale. Luckily the rest were able to sleep while I was gone.




She just loved having her nails painted.



Sleeping on the treadmill is my first choice when I'm sick too.

Tuesday 03.03
Spencer was back to school but Ruth stayed home again. She had thrown up but she also hadn't eaten anything. She was still pretty tired and weak.

While at the grocery store that afternoon she wanted to use her birthday money soooo bad. She found these cute TY beanie animals and she picked out a dog. My favorite is that she let Lucy pick one out too. She checked out before me, all by herself with her own money. Feeling so big. I just love her giving heart to share her birthday money.


Then it was onto the next thing: drum lessons.

While the boys were at scouts and piano I ran Ruth and Lucy out to the Delong's house. We were having a Daddy/Daughter Activity Day night at 6 at the church. I was grateful Ruth could rest and not be a distraction. We got the gym set up for our SURVIVOR themed night and then the boys went to Hunter's Safety while we got started.



The girls picked out strips of fabric for their daddy/daughter team head/arm band. After a prayer they went to 8 different stations of fun activities to do with their dads. The purpose of the activity was to bond, create memories and a stronger relationship with their father. I feel like we accomplished that, it was a fun night!


The stations were:
STICKY {stick as many post-it notes on your partner in one minute as you can.}
PUZZLING {tribal matching game}
TAKE SHELTER {using random objects to create a shelter for a stuffed animal.}

TASTY {close your eyes and eat worms, mud and eye balls.}




3 LEGGED RACE

Then we opted for the challenge at the end and did a 6 legged race {technically 8 if you count the two Kurt was carrying.} That was fun!


OBSTACLE COURSE {set up in the Primary room by Austin.}
TRIVIA {how much do you really know about your dad/daughter?}
PICTURE IS WORTH A 1,000 WORDS {photo booth to remember it all.}




The girls had each brought food to share and we visited and ate. I always feel grateful for a successful activity. We have a great bunch of girls.

Lucy started throwing up that evening. Let the good times roll.


Wednesday 03.04
Can you tell what color this girl loves?


Emma had her teeth cleaned that morning. They looked perfect, no cavities! She was happy about that because she was anxious to get back to Math {love that girl.} Lucy charmed the office with her antics while we waited.



After dropping Emma off at school we had brunch with Angelica at the Plaza. Its always great to visit. Sometime we need to hang out without kids so we can actually talk!

The girls fell asleep on the way home. They were exhausted and still not feeling that great.


I got busy putting things away, laundry, making soup for a friend, yada yada yada. I had a bunch of cake stands to put away from the Stake Dinner/Dance on Saturday. I was standing on the counter after putting one away and jumped across to the island. Realizing it was faster than getting down and climbing back up again. I picked up another {glass}cake stand and prepared to jumped across to the counter. As I was standing there on the edge with my socks on I had the clear prompting, "Don't Do It." Seconds later I jumped & didn't make it. On the way down my left side hit the edge of the kitchen counter before I crumpled to the floor. I couldn't breathe from the impact and as I lay on the ground, with glass all around me, I thought to myself, so this is what it feels like to have the wind knocked out of you. Jane woke up from the sound of the crash and as she was screaming in her crib I felt so helpless. I couldn't move. I couldn't go help her. It took 10 minutes before I was able to get up off the ground. I slowly walked into my bedroom and collapsed on the edge of my bed. That's as far as I could go. I lay there another 10 minutes. It was 1:30 by this time. I knew that it would take awhile to get ready to pick up the kids from school at the rate I was moving so I made my way to the kitchen to sweep up so the little girls could walk through without getting hurt. Then I woke up Lucy. I knew it would be very hard to get Jane out of her crib so I left that for last. It took all my effort and I had to immediately set her down on the ground. She was sooooo upset about that! Why aren't you holding me. Slowly we made it into the car. Lucy was awesome to help get shoes on Jane and help me get her into her car seat. Everything hurt. Putting the car in gear, turning the steering wheel, breathing. I think it was the first time I drove the speed limit all the way there.


Small picture of the aftermath in the sink & shattered glass.


Lucy helping Jane get her shoes on because I could barely move.

The girls had ballet after school so my plan was to pick up the boys {who had their Hunter's Safety test that night} and stop at RPM on the way home to have Kurt give me a blessing. I sent Austin in to go get Kurt. I have never been in so much pain {aside from child birth.} Kurt took one look at me and asked what was wrong. I told him about the fall and the tears started to come. Up until that point it honestly hurt too much to cry. He tried to encourage me to go to the Doctor. I wanted to wait. Of course I was in pain, I had just fallen. I wanted to see how I was doing by the next day. Kurt took the 4 kids and I went back to the school. It was my turn for ballet carpool. Ruth was exhausted {it was her first day back} and so she didn't want to stay for dance. As we were driving to Star it got more painful to breathe deeply. I decided it would probably be a good idea to get looked at. I came up with Plan B. I dropped the girls off at dance and then found the closest Urgent Care center {thank you Siri.} They got me in quickly {although I couldn't move quickly. Every moment was so painful at this point.} After doing the exam the doctor wanted x-rays done. During the exam I was sweating, the pain was so bad as she was feeling along my pain and ribs. Gratefully they have an xray tech right there. She came back a short time later to tell me I had broken 5 ribs. Then she proceeded to tell me what to expect for the recovery. 6 weeks. There is really nothing you can do for broken ribs but allow yourself TIME to heal. The pain is going to get worse. You will be in the ER before the night is over. In reality you should go straight to the ER as soon as we are done to manage the pain. {{I'm thinking to myself, its going to get worse than this?!!!}} See you Primary DR tomorrow, Friday at the latest. Do not pick up or lift anything. You have to rest. The pain will be so bad you won't have a choice but to rest. If you get a fever go straight to the ER, you are a high risk for pneumonia. Ok. Enough with all the ER talk. They also needed a urine sample because one of the breaks was very close to my kidneys. I could hear them talking in the hall before they came back to discharge me, "What is she still doing here? Did you tell her to go to the ER?"  


After they gave me the verdict from the x-ray results

Ruth listened to all the instructions and was wonderful and so cute to open all the doors as we left and to carry my purse. We found the closest Rite Aid and got my pain prescription filled before picking up the girls from class. We were only 10 minutes late.

Happy news is that the boys both  passed Hunter's Safety. Austin missed 1 and Spencer 5. I am grateful it is over. It was very time consuming.


The rest of the week we tried to get use to the new normal - injured mom normal. The kids didn't have school Thursday or Friday which was a huge blessing. They were great helps with Lucy and Jane. Marti came Thursday afternoon and took the kids to her house to play. I'm not going to lie, the quiet house was a God send.

All 6 of my kids slept in this crib. Today we made it a toddler bed for Jane because I can't lift or pick her up. It marks the end of an era. Ready or not.

Friday I had an appointment at Valley Family Medical in town. They didn't tell me anything new. They did give me a wrap to support my ribs if I promised to breathe deep. Pre-injury the plan was to take Spence and Braxton to Boise to play to celebrate his birthday this weekend. Obviously plans had to change. Marti gets aunt/sister-in-law/friend of the year award. She took Spence and her kids to play. They went to visit Grandma Miles, lunch and jump time. So much fun!

She even took pictures for me!! Grateful heart!




This is a book Ruth wrote for me: "A Book A Bat Mom"

Saturday before I had even gotten up Marti came and took the kids to play. Again such a huge blessing! Austin and Kurt went on a 5 mile hike at 1 with the 11 year old scouts. They had a good time hiking our local terrain. Kea called around 4:30 and asked me to come over - quickly - Maggie was struggling with anxiety and other mental health issues. She wanted me to take her to the hospital in Boise. Luckily Kurt and Cortney were at RPM and were able to give her a blessing. She was able to talk to her counselor. And at that point we determined the hospital wasn't needed. We went back to Willow Creek were Jessica gave her a Aroma Therapy Massage. At that point she was calm and ready to go home. I am so grateful I had the opportunity to help. It was a blessing to me. I didn't know how long it would be until I was useful again. It did exhaust me but I am grateful the Lord knows AND loves me.


Austin's map of their 5 miler

And best of all my parents arrived that evening to help us survive. What a relief to have them come. It makes me happy and breathe easier.


I have been so blessed with a continual out-pouring of love after my accident. Phone calls, texts, cards, flowers, gifts, care packages, visits, meals, acts of service {i.e. delivering GS cookies}, cleaning the house, watching my kids, prayers and fasting. The list goes on and on. Wow. I am loved. And truly that is the best medicine to heal the soul {{and ribs.}} THANK YOU. It is so humbling.


This is the project life page I made documenting all the love and service I have been shown.

The rest {not doing} might indeed kill me. But it gives me time to repent and truly humble myself. Which I feel is the lesson that I need to learn in this experience. The saddest part of this story is that I did not heed the prompting I received. It hurts my heart more than my ribs. The atonement is real.

Austin marked all the breaks on my xray, printed it out and then taped it to my bathroom door.
"Just so you don't forget mom." There is not a chance son.

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...