Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Walk Two Moons

It is very important for me that my children have a love for reading. It has been a part of our family life, our daily rountine since the beginning. I think that is one reason why Austin is so successful with reading. We came home from the library today and he pulled out a new book and sat down on the couch with Emma and Spencer and read them the book. I watched from the kitchen with pride and an overwhelming sense of joy.

We have been reading books out loud together too. We just recently finished "Stuart Little" and "Henry & Ribsy." It is wonderful to cuddle up on the couch together and read. I hope it is a tradition we can continue for the rest of our lives. We checked out "Bridge to Tereabitha" today.

I realized that I wasn't setting a good example about reading for my kids. When was the last time I read a book, for pleasure, just for me??? I honestly couldn't remember so I checked out a book for ME today. And of course I started it as soon as the kids were a sleep and then I couldn't put it down! "Walk Two Moon" by Sharon Creech. It had a great message and I'm highly recommending it.

"Don't judge a man until you've walked two moons in his moccasins."

4 comments:

'T' said...

I need a good read, I'll have to 'check that out' literally. Hope all is well, getting ready for your move? Give details, I'm excited for you. Love- Tiniel

The R Crew said...

I'd love any good recommendations that you have for good reads too. I'm SO excited to move I wish it was yesterday! We're just waiting for the closing dates...meanwhile we're tripping on boxes in our current house. I try not to spend all my free time dreaming up how I'm going to arrange and organize and decorate our new space. But I can't help it! Dont' worry I'll send pics!

'T' said...

I love Newberry Award winners for youth: Summer of the Swans, Bridge to Teribithia, The Giver, OF COURSE Harry Potter, and my all time fav "To Kill a Mockingbird".

loves T

Tracey said...

Kindergarten year we read The Chronicles of Narnia. I had never read any of them all the way through and they were great. Adam loved all the stories and we would read all day! I asked him while we were reading, who is Aslan like? And he said with big eyes, "Jesus". The summer before 1st grade we read the entire Little House on the Prairie series. Adam loved those too. A free website that I signed up on is called goodreads.com You and your friends can post what you are reading, what you have read and review different books. Harry Potter is huge at our house too and Adam just finished the entire Spiderwick Chronicles in about 5 hours!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...