Monday, May 4, 2009

Choices

Last year the Stake YW presidency told us to watch our YW closely towards the end of the school year. In past it has been a time for the youth to make bad choices and reach out for help.

I witnessed the warning last week. In one week alone I had a YW expelled from school, another pulled over by a cop and yet another kicked out of her house.

On Tuesday my own son got into trouble at school. At least he wasn't sent to the principal's office. Hey, I'm trying to find something positive here!

What is up with the free agency lately?


Kurt and I were already headed to the temple that night (Tuesday when Austin got in trouble) so I was very grateful for the peacefulness, strength and comfort of the temple as I was weighed in sorrow over the actions of my son.

I knew this part of life would be difficult. The watching-them-make-their-own-decisions-you-can't-blame-yourself-you've-taught-them-now-give-them-room-to-grow part. I just didn't realize how difficult. The weight of Godly sorrow. And I find it nearly impossible to detach myself from the choices of my children. I pray it'll come with time and hopefully more wisdom. I just hope that has parents and child we have all learned from this situation.

It is amazing how anything and everything is possible and almost easy in the temple. The problems and trials of life are manageable. Ya, I CAN do this! Then reality hits you in the face again when you leave those temple doors. But one thing Satan doesn't realize, the strength of the temple stays within our souls even as the world attacks. We CAN do this!

3 comments:

'T' said...

It's hard to see those you love make wrong choices... Best of luck. How long have you been YW pres?

Dirk said...

hmmmm. What do I say? I've thought for years, "we teach them correct principles and watch them make mistakes." The good news is the love and mercy and PATIENCE of a most divine and beautiful Savior. Welcome to my world. You are heads and tails above many of us. You CAN DO IT!

I love you! mom

TulsaT said...

What a great post, not the Austin's getting in trouble part, just the reminder that it's part of life and we can find peace. Hope things turn around for all those involved.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...