Thursday, August 7, 2008

So I totally had no intention of posting anything about this event in my life. I did want to record it for history sake but not publish it for all the world to see. I was trying to keep some sense of privacy in our small town. But that's all over now so I might as well really get it out there.

Our youth are going to the Twin Falls Temple right this minute. A trip that I planned but now I'm unable to go. I had surgery on Tuesday. 2 scopes not a big deal but I'm not fully recovered yet & even though I desperately wanted to go I knew I shouldn't. So yeah for me, that I'm finally learning to listen to my body after 28 years & actually obey. But admitting this does something to my super ego complex.

After Ruth was born Kurt & I decided to use an IUD for our birth control method. I had one after Spencer was born & really loved it. We prayed about the decision & felt good about it. So we went forward. They check placement a month after the IUD as been in. At that appointment they could not find my IUD. That started a whirlwind of tests, X-Ray & 5 ultrasounds. The IUD was definitely still inside but they could never find it on any of the 5 ultrasounds they did. It was causing sharp pain on a constant basis (daily) so we opted for surgery to find & remove it. That's what happened on Tuesday. Everything went well. They scoped my uterus & abdomen & found it attached to tissue on my stomach. My Dr. has put in hundreds and hundreds of IUDs & I'm the only case where it has gone completely missing & they didn't know where it was. So they took lots of pictures & will use me as a case study. So happy I could be a freak of nature for learning sake.

So obviously I'm no longer a good candidate for an IUD. That totally stinks! I'm back on the pill which hasn't proved to be the most productive (good word choice!) form of birth control. I'm a little scared. But this was my realization this morning: I totally believe that children come to earth, to their families at a specific time. The Lord's time. He is all-knowing & His timing is perfect. I know that to be true. Then why am I scared? My faith is stronger than that!

Since I'm cool enough to have pics of this event I had to post. Here my Dr. has found the IUD (white part) & is removing it. She cut it into 3 pieces to remove it from my body. It is recurrently sitting in a jar on top of my fridge. If only I could find a way to put it in my scrapbook!

6 comments:

'T' said...

Rachel, Best of luck with your recovery. I hope you are doing well and it wasn't too invasive! I'm so glad that they were able to find it and that everything will heal okay. Aren't our bodies amazing? With Love, -and glad you shared- TINIEL

Cheryl said...

Ouch! I have an IUD as well and always worry about it getting lost. I too struggle with the whole faith and pregnancy thing. You are amazing Rachel, always have been and always will.

Maren Richards said...

That's crazy Rachel! I's sure you were thrilled to be a medical frist :) I'm glad everything went well and I hope you are recovering nicely. Have you ever thought about using the Nouva ring?

Lots of Love,
Maren

Dirk said...

Ooh, interesting pic! You belong to a different generation by posting this pic. :-) I'm happy to read your entries and grateful you do it. I look forward to seeing you this week. Grateful you are recovering! Love to you, mom

Unknown said...

I am so sorry that you had to deal with surgery! Not fun. I hope everything works out and that you will recover nicely. Also, I agree with Maren to try the Nuva ring.

Tracey said...

I'm glad they were able to get it out ok. My sister-in-law got an IUD for the first time 2 years ago when her daughter was 6 weeks old and it perforated her uterus when they inserted it! She said it was terribly painful and she knew something wasn't right almost immediately. I also know 2 people who got pregnant while using and IUD as well. One had it removed and the other had it in the whole pregnancy! I hope that you recover well!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...