Friday, November 20, 2009

Crash

For the past month I have been planning a major activity for the youth. The airplane crash. You have them board the plane, and after it crashes they are led through the spirit world, telestial, terristial and celestial kingdoms. I had never seen or been apart of this activity before but only heard how wonderful and what an impact it had on those who participated. The last time they did it in Vale was when Kurt was in mutual. Definitely time to do it again.

It was quite the production and took a lot of people to put it together. It took 2 afternoons to completely rearrange the church. But it was so worth it. I'm so grateful we took the time to do it.

They started in the seminary room (airport.) We had boarding passes and everything for them. Christy Phillips (other YW pres) and I were the stewardesses. We took them through security (they had to take off their shoes) and then boarded the plane.







We were short just a few seats so as they crammed in it got a little rowdy. That made me nervous, if they weren't reverent it wasn't going to work! They all went to the spirit world together where Bishop Jacobs explained the plan of salvation (in the YW room.) At that point they were separated into 2 groups (based on their ticket number found on their boarding pass.) They started the progression through the different kingdoms.

The Telestial Kingdom was in the Primary room with Jeff Romans, Brad and Cheryl Jacobs, Scott and Katy Lamb, Dena and Toby Cummings, and April Johnson.


It was very dark (I turned on the light for the picture) with a few red lights, fog machine and heavy metal music. It was dark and creepy.

The Terristial Kingdom was in the Relief Society room with Bill Romans, Amy Lamb, Jacob Atkinson, Christy Christensen, Janice Belnap and Tony Munk.



There were a few stools, one picture of Christ, one lamp and the piano. It was dim and dull. They were good people on earth but didn't endure to the end, really try their best or magnify their callings (life.)

The Celestial Kingdom was in the chapel (sorry I'm not posting a picture.) It was very white and very bright. We had couples together in this room to emphasize families. Barnes, Ruf, Saunders, Rindlisbacher, Johnson, and Wolfe. We gave the youth a chance to bare their testimonies at the end. It was uplifting. I really love our youth.

There was a distinct difference in feeling and mood in each kingdom. Hopefully that is what the youth will remember. Austin was there too and he went through the rooms with me. When we came home he was explaining the different kingdoms to Emma Lynn (in terms of sun, moon and stars.) Even my 6 year old could feel and recognize the difference. Let's hope he remembers too. And in the same respect it was wonderful to think about and prepare for myself. There is still the course that needs to be maintained and magnified. I loved sitting in the chapel (celestial kingdom) with my son and husband and all the YW that I love as my own. What joy there will be in that kingdom!

3 comments:

'T' said...

WHAT A NEAT ACTIVITY!

Marti Bair said...

It sounds like it was great. Austin was telling me about it yesterday. It is neat that he was able to see it.

stalker sarah said...

What a NEAT activity! And I still can't believe you know Christy Phillips! It truly is a small world!!! Love ya! Sarah (DeLuca) Yadon. I figured you wouldn't know who it was from my stalker sarah name! ;) as in blog stalking.....

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...