Saturday, September 19, 2009

Age Denial

Ruth is 18 months old. She is actually closer to 19 months at this point but apparently I'm not ready to accept it because I keep postponing this post for a later time. My baby is growing up on me. I am completely shocked at how fast it has gone. In my mind she is my little baby but she proves me wrong the minute I think it with her independence and actions. And then I feel a little nauseous that she is nearing 2. We sure love our Rooster girl. She has blessed our lives tremendously. I'm so grateful to have this time with her!

A little bit about Rooster at 18 months:

~ She still drinks out of a bottle! She LOVES her bottle. I have tried (more than once) to wean her from it. She screams and will not sleep so I end up giving it back to get peace and quiet. It is totally a comfort thing at this point. She has had a rash around her mouth (at times up to her nose and down to her chin) that the Dr. said is from her bottle (the constant moisture.) So a little bit more incentive to wean her right? Well...she is currently recovering from ear infections (school has started so she immediately got sick!) I'm committed this time...as soon as she gets better!

~ A recent thing, she carries around a blanket and her rabbit while she is drinking the bottle. She drags around all 3 things when its time for cuddles. Its pretty cute.



~ She is a grunter & a growler. She makes deep bear noises while she is playing and especially when someone is chasing her.

~ She has been trained well by her old sister and loves to color. I think most of it is all about being included with Emma. But she has been known to color/draw all by herself when no one else is around.



~ She loves dolls and purses. Anything she can tote around when she doesn't have the bottle, blanket and rabbit combo. She loves to feed the babies and put treasures in the purses.



~ Doesn't really speak words. She talks a lot I just haven't found the heavenly translator yet. She is constantly jabbering about something and everything. If only I could flip the switch and understand her. She has and knows words but she is beyond stubborn about saying them when you want her too. She will bust out a word or too in the correct context and completely surprise you but refuses to say it again when you ask. Tuesday night the kids and I were making pizza for dinner and she was loving the olives. She kept grunting at me for more. When I withheld them and asked to her say please in order to get one she would, every single time! Maybe I need to stock up on olives to increase her vocab!



~ She demands attention when she wants something. Either with yelling or she will push and tug at your legs until she gets what she wants (usually her bottle.) She is a very strong willed little lady.

~ She loves the preschool room. She has now determined that she is old enough to be involved in everything and thinks she owns the place. She is constantly rearranging the calendar and putting surprises in the mailbox.

~ She doesn't like nursery. Of course she loved it at 16 and 17 months but the minute she was legal, not so much!



~ She loves music. Dancing came almost the same day as walking. She has sat through hundreds of piano lessons (in the womb - present day.) She likes to play right along with them or bop in time to the music. She likes the singing part too. She will jabber along in song while she plays. After Austin plays twinkle little star on the piano she will keeping singing the tune after he's done.



~ She can open the door and loves to go outside and exercise her freedom. We lock the doors. It works for now.

~ She loves to "clean." She pulls out baby wipes (the whole box if you'd let her!) and wipes down every surface at her height.

~ She is a good eater. She loves to feed herself and has been eating at the table with us for a long time. She doesn't like ice cream. Never really has. Big fan of candy though.



~ She is hilarious! She can make all her siblings laugh and loves the attention it brings. She is giving Spence a run for his money on being "the funny one."



~ She is the center of our lives, the baby of the family (as if you couldn't tell by now! As the oldest child I am completely doing the things I said I'd never do with the baby of the family! Oh well.) The older siblings dote on her, shower her with affection and attention and do just about anything for her. She does live up to her nickname - the house rises and sets around our Rooster girl. Thank you for blessing us with your shining life. WE LOVE YOU!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Rachel! I was sad I didn't get to talk to you at Standards Night. I saw you sitting in the audience, but I had to sneak out to get the food ready. I just had to tell you that my little grandson, Grayson, LOVED nursery when he was 15, 16 and even 17 months, but I swear the day he turned 18 months, he hated it! He is now 20 months and the nursery leaders say he is "adjusting" more. We had a baby shower for my DIL, Kelsey, last week and Brenda Hartley came and Grayson just kept eyeballing her and avoiding her. She is one of his nursery leaders and the sweetest gal in the world, but he just was not sure why she would be in Nana's house. Brenda pointed it out to me and it really was quite funny. She kept trying to win him over, but to no avail. He is definitely the center of our universe presently (at least until Kelsey's and then Karli's babies come, that is!) You are such a good example of what a mom and wife should be and I love getting little glimpses into your daily life. I can't believe you made applesauce after Standards Night! You're one crazy girl! See ya! Tami

Marti Bair said...

Wow what a neat post! I feel like I even learned things about Rooster. We lover her too! Braxton was just talking about her last night.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...