Friday, September 4, 2009

Salsa

When I moved to Vale 3 years ago I tried to embrace country life in an effort to love my new home. One of those embracing activities was canning. My friend Marji introduced me to the world of canning jars, gleaning fruit & veggies, and finding joy in kitchen sweat during the harvest season.

I was so surprised to discover that I truly did find joy in canning. Yes it is a lot of work. But the process of finding or growing produce, preparing and storing is enjoyable. There is nothing like a row was gleaming jars straight from the canner! You know what was put in there, it is healthier, most times cheaper and you cannot beat the satisfaction of knowing you are preparing and providing for your family's future.

I've been pretty basic in my canning adventures. A friend said she was going to make some salsa (which I had never done before) so I thought I should make some too. Another friend let us come glean from her massive garden yesterday and this morning we got to work. All the kids helped me make the salsa. Later we snipped the ends off 2 buckets of green beans (we cleaned some scissors and cut the ends off. So fun!) We made a great team and had lots of fun together! Thanks for all your hard work today!


Austin blanching tomatoes




Spencer running the Bosch (dicing peppers and onions)




Emma Lynn stirring everything


I can't wait to try it!

3 comments:

Marti Bair said...

You didn't try any while you were making it? Go buy some chips!

Joseph Richards said...

looks like you're employing child labor! (or maybe child abuse! a four year old stirring hot salsa? Spencer dicing things? hilariouS!!!!!)

mom said...

Keep it up Rachel! It's not child labor but teaching a child! One day Hose will understand! You should give everyone a jar of salsa for Christmas. Just think you could be done with your Christmas shopping. ha ha Let us know how you all like it.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...