Friday, September 25, 2009

Austin up-date

I finally got into Austin's class yesterday. That first month of school when I can't volunteer is torture! I was happy to get in here. It was totally a bad time and completely inconvenient but I didn't want to miss my chance. I just helped with centers, it didn't give me a true sense of his class room. But I still got to meet his classmates and see how Mrs. Camp interacts with the students. A regular schedule volunteer time is set in place for next week, now that makes me happy!

They routinely doing hearing test on all the students at the beginning of the school year. Austin didn't pass the test. When I called to find out more information about it they said it wasn't too uncommon. They would recheck him in 2 weeks. That was yesterday. He didn't pass again. That isn't as common. So now Austin has to go see an audiologist in Ontario. The school will arrange everything, including transportation. I want to go with him so I can ask all my questions and hopefully learn what this all means, what's the next step and what we can do to help/improve.

Austin continues to read like its necessary for survival. He finished up "Holes" (4.7 reading level) a few weeks ago. It was the longest book he had read (233 pages.) He has a reading log at school (they have to read the book 2 times before it can go on the reading log.) Apart from homework we have reading time every day. He continues to take AR tests at school on his reading. He has missed a few, which has really surprised me. Maybe we need to slow down and make sure we are comprehending.

2 things that I've noticed about 1st grade that have made we step back and realize that this is "real" school and my son is really growing up. First he had his first spelling test yesterday (and aced it.) Completely submerged in the world of diapers and nursery rhymes I forgot that spelling tests even existed! And second he writes down every day what his homework is. I love this because he is completely aware of what he is suppose to do and is responsible for his work. But at the same time, whoa! Just so real compared to the preschool/kindergarten world.

Austin is just doing piano for his activity this year. He really does not want to do clogging any more. He is doing so well with the piano and (for now) it is working well to teach him. So we'll keep on. He is a good sight reader and has a great sense of rhythm. It is so fun to hear him practice especially on days when I don't have to ask! :)

Last Saturday the 19th there was a Fun Run in Vale for the 1-5th graders. Austin participated (I love to support running and Austin likes it.) They did some extensive (for their age) stretching and warm-ups followed by each grade running one race. The first grades did the 200 meters. Austin was in last place for the majority of the race but stayed strong and finished 3rd (out of 6.) I was proud of his effort! They had snacks, raffle drawing (and Austin won something!) and finished up with relay races. It was a great morning. I love cheering you on Austin!


warming-up


racing


My winner!

1 comment:

mom said...

I think it's great they have first graders writing down their assignments! Tim still gets that in high school. It's better to start earlier. Of course, I live by my planner so I think it's really good. he he Strange about the hearing test. You haven't ever noticed anything, right? Did they explain the test to him correctly? Your wise to go w/him to Ontario. Go Austin go! I'm excited that you love to read so much and you had a great run! I really like the "Holes" story too! You're off to a great start! Congrats on the spelling test too!!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...