Sunday, May 20, 2012

Inspirational Half

Saturday, May 19, 2012

After I got home from my race in DC I decided to sign up for a few more local ones {with the hopes of staying in shape.} Today was the first, The Famous Potato Half in Boise.

So the honest truth is that I'd been a lazy runner {only 2-3 times a week.} I was expecting my time to be slower than DC since I wasn't as prepared.

The starting point at Lucky Peak was COLD. We were just waiting around for the race to start. The course was a piece of cake. Completely flat and even some downhill.

As I started the race I was attracted to this small lady in a yellow shirt. She was speedy. I told myself to keep up with her and I'd be doing all right. We started talking through the duration of the race and I learned a little bit about her. She is 63 years old. She. Is. AMAZING. It took all my energy to keep up with her. I was so impressed with her energy and strength. But not only that, her character was sweet and kind. She thanked every single volunteer she ran past and commented on the beautiful day and how blessed we were.

I have a new Personal Record for the Half Marathon of 1:52

It is all due to this amazing lady, Diana. I could not have kept the pace without her. And how sweet the victory was because I endured to the end. {{SOOO many wonderful gospel applications that I shared with the Young Women today in ward conference.}}


Another lady came up to me after the race and thanked me for being her pace horse. Diana's example was contagious. I am inspired by this woman and hope to be an example of kindness and strength.


2 comments:

Karen and Roger said...

Loved that you got a picture with her at the end so you can always remember this run. Way to go Rachel for keeping up the running AND improving your time! Woot! Woot!

Ray and Nancy said...

If you are ever out East again, we live only two hours from DC and we would love to see you.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...