Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Our Thankful Hearts

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving is my favorite. The best food, the people you cherish and adore and hearts full. It's perfect.

I also love that some times Kurt's birthday falls on Thanksgiving. This was one of those years. Kurt is THE best thing that has happened to me. Hands down. So I love that I can combine the two, it's only fitting.

Our morning was nice and relaxing together. Then I started to work on my food assignments for Thanksgiving dinner at Cindy's. Rolls, jello salad and a dessert. Strawberry pretzel jello salad done, rolls rising and starting to mix cookie dough in the Bousch. Ruth is best baker and always loves to help me. I was putting something away and when I turned back around Ruth's eyes were HUGE with a terrified looked and then she started to cry. I gave her a hug and when I pulled away there was blood every where. On my apron, all over her dress and mouth. It took me a second to figure out where it was coming from. Her fingers. She had cut them on the Bousch.

Let me paint the picture of chaos that unfolded. Spencer and Lucy were taking a bath because Lucy cannot eat a single meal without staying clean. That said meal was strewn all over the table and floor because after she got out of her booster seat she crawled up to the table and continued to eat all her siblings leftovers. And since I was too busy baking I let her have free reign until I put her in the bath. I had taken a shower the night before so my hair was standing on end like an authentic porky pine, baking in jammie pants and jacket and apron (picture perfect cuteness.) Ruth was in a beautiful white colonial dress from Grandma Richards. We bake in style folks.

So I took Ruth to the sink to wash off blood and try to determine where the cut was and how bad. I immediately set Emma outside to find Kurt. Sliced up 3 fingers with the middle one being the worse. I immediately thought stitches as I applied Barbie band-aids. But I was happily surprised that I was able to get it stopped well enough and knew it would be ok. About that time Kurt, Jeff and Austin walked into this mess (thankfully Spencer had washed Lucy by himself at this point.) I dress Ruth (she was standing in her underwear at the sink because as soon as I got the bleeding stopped I took off her beautiful white dress to soak the blood stains.)

Kurt and Jeff gave her a blessing and then we made some phone calls to determine the next course of action. Dropped off the kids at Cindy's and drove Ruth in to nurse Beth Kaaen's to get her opinion in stitches. We decided to DR her ourselves. We went back to Graham house to get supplies and wrap her up.

We even made it to dinner on time. Luckily the rest of the day was less eventful. We were able to enjoy all the goodness of Thanksgiving. Kurt got a nap, watched a football game and visited with endless grazing. It's a good life. We returned home to open presents. Happy 34th Kurt!














1 comment:

Karen and Roger said...

Sad! Ruth is so tough! I'm glad everyone is okay. I love love love the last picture of Lucy. Priceless!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...