Sunday, August 23, 2009

Mesa Falls Half Marathon

I DID IT!!!

I have always wanted to run a marathon and on Saturday, August 22nd I ran the Mesa Falls Half Marathon in Ashton, Idaho!

I can't tell you how amazing it feels! It feels amazing to accomplish something I've always wanted to do.

The race was amazing too. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy but I honestly enjoyed it. I didn't expect to experience that emotion. I expected to be nervous and anxious and exhausted. Some of the reasons why I enjoyed it is because the scenery was so gorgeous, I ran well and was so happy with my time, and I loved the atmosphere of the race (people of all ages, shapes and sizes were running and regardless everyone was encouraging and cheering each other on.)

I ran it in 2 hours and 13 minutes. I was shooting for 2 and 1/2 but knew I could do better than that so 2:15 on the high hopeful scale. And I even did better than that! In my age group (25-29) I was 10th (out of 30.)

The course was really nice. The first 4 miles we ran on a forest trail right along a river, so gorgeous! Then mile 5 started some hills which were finished by mile 7 (they were just rolling hills after that.) People starting walking and dropping off at the hills. I powered right through them. I have been running hills all summer due to the location of our house so I felt well trained. I was passing people like crazy and that gave me lots of confidence. I won't lie it felt awesome to pass someone! I kept a steady pace after that. It got really hot though so I ran through every sprinkler I could at the water breaks.

When I was finished it was definitely a natural high. What a great experience! I can see how it can get addicting. I've got my next race planed for October 10th in Fruitland (its only 35 minutes away, can't pass that up!)


Pre-Race


Mile 6 (it was awesome to see Kurt mid-race cheering. I ran over and gave him a high five! ;)


Crossing the finish line 2 hours and 13 minutes later


New running friend I met - Jody Atkinson from Idaho Falls. We ran together the first 5 miles.


Elliot's sister, Laura (who ran a full - you're amazing!)

I need to give a HUGE shout out to my wonderful and amazing husband. He has been so incredibly supportive. Not only for the race but all summer long as I woke up in the dark to go run. He didn't complain and always helped me find time to run. I loved the look of pride and admiration when I finished the race. I loved that he was proud of me for accomplishing this. I know I couldn't have done this without his support and encouragement. Thank you for helping me accomplish my dreams, Kurt. I LOVE YOU!



The half was a test to see if I wanted to try a full. The answer is YES! I'm going to run it before my 30th birthday! Goal on.

To finish off the trip we did a session in the Rexburg temple with Traci and Elliot. It was our first time to see or be in the temple, so gorgeous! It was a perfect ending to our quick trip. (Big thanks to Cindy for watching the kids for us. THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!)



8 comments:

Elliot and Traci said...

HOORAY!!! I am proud of you. What marathon are you going to run, have you decided yet? I hope the fireside went well last night.

sochie said...

great job on the run Rachel. I'm so proud of you. my goal is to run a half marathon too. I can do without the full 26.2 though ;). Also, how fun it was to go to the rexburg temple. Crazy how much has changed there.

'T' said...

good for you!

TulsaT said...

Way to go! You rock!

janalee said...

Awesome time, Rachel! I love that you are sharing your goals here- it motivates me to write down my own goals :)

Joseph Richards said...

YOU'RE THE BOMB!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!!!

Smelsha said...

I don't know why (well maybe it's being 7 months pregnant) but this makes me cry. You are such an inspiration to me! Learning to play the violin, running half marathons, having an adorable family. You're all things I want to be! I can't wait to start training for a half marathon too but I'll be lucky if I get my half in before I turn 30. Good work and keep up the amazing-ness!

mom said...

Go Rachel! What a great job! You're amazing! And cute too!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...