Tuesday, August 4, 2009

MY Milestone Moment

For those of you who know me and know Kurt you know this is BIG.

In the 8 years, 7 months and 19 days that we have been married I have never mowed our lawn.

I have begged and pleaded, tried all forms of persuasion I knew and even tried to get private lessons from friends. Since Kurt doesn't own his own tractor his John Deere riding lawn mower is about the next best thing. If it wasn't so expensive to replace I would have jumped on it long ago!

Kurt is a busy, busy man. Mowing our very large lawn was always just one more thing he had to do that he didn't have time for. Here is where my years of unconvincing persuasion came in: teach me so I can help you out!

I was washing the dishes tonight when Kurt asked, "Do you want to mow the lawn?"

Double take!
Pick my mouth up off the floor.
Act calm and cool...

"Sure."

I have absolutely NO idea what brought on the random change of heart tonight but I wasn't about to question it before he thought twice about it!

So I mowed the lawn.

I kept hoping someone I knew would drive by while I was mowing so I could wave and shout, "Hey look at me, I'm mowing our lawn!!!" No one did. But the kids were playing outside and I waved at them lots.

Granted it's not the prettiest our lawn has ever looked. I got a little crazy with my pattern at the end. It's like a toddler you are potty training. You are so pleased and so proud that they actually have the desire to go and that they put some of their potty in the toilet that you don't care that the walls, floor, bath tub and mirror have been plastered with pee. I was so pleased and so proud that I got to mow the lawn even though I missed chunks, did not make a beautiful pattern, and used reverse a lot try and fix my mistakes. Kurt spent at least 10 minutes fixing my job. My efforts were just like a potty training toddler. And I'm cheering just as excitedly, "I did it, I did it!"

Hopefully I can remember how to run that machine so I can actually be helpful at some point when I've mastered my new "potty training" skills. I just have to wonder... will it still be as exciting the 58th time I mow the lawn?

5 comments:

'T' said...

Rachel, I'm so proud of you. I have never ONCE mowed our lawn. I would not have the foggiest how to even start our riding lawn mower. You've given me courage, I think I'll ask if I can.

Dirk said...

It's nice you can help Kurt! Before you know it Austin and Spence will be helping too! No pics of your nicely mowed lawn?

Tiffany said...

Where's the pictures? It'd be fun to see them!

The R Crew said...

I was embarrassed to ask Kurt to take a picture (silly, I know.) So there is only this journaling to record this historic event.

Marti Bair said...

I can't believe it is your first time. Growing up I don't ever remeber a time when Dad would mow the lawn. I am also sure that if I had a lawn- Big IF- the mowing would be up to me. You do have a great husband.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...