Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Oregon Coast

I have found my new love. The Oregon Coast. The kids and I spent all last week there and it was fabulous! I am a little overwhelmed about how to blog it all so I'll break it down day by day.

Monday, July 27th
Becca Albert and I left Monday morning. I think it was 7 am by the time we got loaded and out of Vale. (Important side note that I have to mention: Kurt had the pick-up washed and vacuumed out, laundry done and folded when I got home from Youth Conference late Saturday night. He is a gem! I finally went to bed at 2 am Sunday morning and I know it would have be uGLy without his help. I have to say that I have bragged quite a bit to my friends. I'm a lucky woman!) Back to the trip, we made lots of random stops here and there. Switched kids from each vehicle. Endured lots of construction on a one lane highway. Watched the Oregon scenery make subtle but dramatic changes. It seemed to take forever (I'm just use to going on my road trips. NO stops unless its an emergency!)


Spencer, Jacqlyn and Emma Lynn on the trek over

We finally got into Lincoln City around 5:30 pm. We unloaded, stretched our legs, reconnected with our other campers (Dena, Tudy and their kids) and had some dinner. I was anxious to see the beach so we all (4 moms and 13 kids) piled into Becca suburban and drove the 4 blocks to the beach.



It is the only beach on the coast that you can drive onto. There are lots of tide pools (and therefore lots of sharp, slippery rocks). Lincoln City is known for being the best place in the world to fly kites. I believe it! The wind was chilly and biting. But the sunset was magnificent.


Kite Capital at sunset


My boys at sunset



We had 3 tents set up. A small one for the boys (Gage, Lake, LeBraun, Austin, & Colt) and a big one for the girls (plus Spencer and Rye. There were 4 adults and 8 kids in that tent. There wasn't a single inch available for anything else!) The last tent was just for bags and clothes. It was a really nice way to keep everything organized. Austin felt like he was pretty big stuff to be sleeping in the boy tent. It felt weird for him to be so independent. I was curious to see how the sleeping would go in the big tent. But by the time night rolled around all the kids were so exhausted that they pretty much just pasted out. Most nights Spencer came to me and said, "I'm tired. I want to go to bed." Sounds good to me!


Austin, Colt and LeBraun feeling special to be in the big boy tent



The first night the kids found a stray cat. They said it was evil and it was trying to kill Colt. So they were running away from it and screaming and creating all kinds of noise. Naturally the dumb cat follows them back to camp. We spent the rest of the trip trying to get rid of the stupid thing (sorry for the bad language! but it really was a bad cat!) We told the park manager and the park ranger. They were not very diligent in their efforts to rid us of the pest. In the middle of the night 11 month old Rye woke up. Tudy looked up and saw a large dark shadow on top of our tent. But that shadow was in between the rain fly and the tent. So basically there was just a tiny thin layer of netting between us and the shadow. IT WAS THE DUMB CAT!!! Tudy grabbed something and started hitting it, and luckily it jumped down. It definitely took a few minutes to go back to sleep after that.


Rooster girl playing in the tent

1 comment:

Dirk said...

I want to see a picture of the dumb cat!
Did you fly kites? Did Kurt join you later in the week?
The kids and you look happy and adorable.
Amazing sunsets. Great memories!

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...