Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Strawberry Lake

The past couple of years we have gone to Unity for our Romans family camp out. This year we decided to go back to Strawberry. I have been there twice. Once when I was engaged to Kurt (2000) and again in 2005 (Austin was 2 1/2, Emma Lynn 11 months and pregnant with Spencer.) It is a beautiful place. My aaaaaaahhhhhhhh (said in sing-song voice) spot in Oregon. Every one needs a special haven like that. There is something magical about coming over the hill after a long hike and seeing the gorgeous view of the lake. We haven't been back because its harder to do with young kids. We decided to brave it this year. I really, really wanted to go especially since it was my camping summer!



Marti and Kelli left with their kids a little after noon on Thursday. I was suppose to go with them but Austin had been coughing all morning (nothing new.) But he coughed so hard he was throwing up. I wanted to wait and see how he was doing so I sent Kurt, and the 3 younger kids on their way. Austin and I met up with Dan, Elliot and Traci later that night. Jeff, Julie and Mollie joined up right before dark.

All I can tell you is that it was COLD up there.

Okay there are lots of other things to say but I was really glad that I packed the kids coats because they wore them a lot! We slept warm in the tent but getting up Friday morning was very chilly. The guys kept the fire roaring to help bring some warmth. It was nice for Kurt to finally use the camping equipment we bought earlier this summer. :) It was just nice to have him on the trip with us.

Cindy came up Friday morning just as we finished up breakfast. We made some lunches and prepared to hike up to the lake. I'm really pleased with what great little hikers the kids are becoming.

At the lake Jeff did some fishing. All the kids followed him like flies in a feed lot. He was wonderful with them. They were so happy when he caught a little fish. Emma Lynn said that fishing was her favorite part of the trip.





We ate lunch back in the trees to try and stay warm (the wind was blowing at this point and it was miserably cold.)





The babies (Mollie and McKenzie) were really cold so their parents went back down to camp with them. The rest of us hiked on up to the water fall. I'll admit at the end it seemed like we were never going to get there. Emma, Spencer and Braxton were starting to get tired at this point. But they made it. All the way to the waterfall from camp! Way to go guys, what great hikers! We did a lot of alternate carrying on the way down (except for Austin.) I have to say with that and my killer morning run I had a very, very good workout that day.

The falls were gorgeous. Unfortunately Rooster was past the point of needing a good nap and was quite afraid of all the rushing water. We didn't stay too long.





We had lots of good food at camp. We had tin foil dinners and smores Thursday night and Friday night Kurt and I did some dutch oven cooking (chili, corn bread and cherry/huckleberry cobbler.) It was all so good. I had fun cooking with Kurt. We both said that all the food was our favorite part of the trip! ;)




Kurt using his father's day present for the first time

We did lots of games on the hike to have fun and keep the kids happy. We also came up with camping nicknames for each other.

Kurt - pinecone
Rachel - wild flowers
Austin - leaf
Emma Lynn - rainbow
Spencer - butterfly
Ruth - huckleberry
Braxton - tree
Brooke - little fish











We decided to go home early since it was so cold. So Friday night after dinner we packed up camp and headed back to Vale (we got home around 10:30) A cousin was getting married the next day so it made it easier to get to his wedding on time also. I hated to go home early since we were there and Kurt was actually camping with us. But I'm just grateful that we could all go together. Thanks for a wonderful trip guys - I'll do it again - anytime!


The Bair family (minus Jeff)


Braxton


The Ruf family


Super cute Kenzie


Jeff and Mollie


The Huntsman family


Grandma and a few suckers


The Romans family (minus Bill and Jeff B.)

1 comment:

'T' said...

looks like a slice of heaven.

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...