Thursday, January 7, 2010

Homemade Christmas

The kids made Christmas presents this year for each other (they drew names.) The rule was that they had to be homemade (including wrapping paper) with items we had in the house. I loved doing this.

Austin had Spencer.
He made a car map. He cut out a large piece of felt and drew a city for his cars (or space ships since he got so many this Christmas.) It was complete with a tunnel and "Welcome to Spencer's Land" sign.


Emma Lynn had Austin.
She made a book mark because he can never remember what page he is on. She drew dinosaurs chasing him on one side and "Austin loves to read" on the other. We finished by laminating it and a ribbon at the top.

Spencer had Ruth.
He made foam bath shapes. We traced 5 different shapes in 5 different colors on foam paper. They are great for practicing shapes and colors, building different things and they stick wonderfully when went.

Ruth had Emma Lynn.
This was the hardest one for me to come up with b/c I wanted her to help in some way. We made a little art kit to make a "Pet Rock Family." It included 3 rocks (that's where Ruth helped, she picked out the rocks), googly eyes, & yarn. I provided the paint and glue gun. It was so simple and Emma loved it and put it together that afternoon.


I also made a few gifts this year. Kurt and I always give the kids a hardcover book. I use it as a theme and give another gift to go with it (Austin got the Star War Lego Encyclopedia + a Lego set [from the book] to build. Rooster received a Raggedy Ann Treasury + a Raggedy Ann doll.) Emma Lynn received the book, "Goldilious" {a new one by a favorite author Victoria Kann.} So I made a crown and wand to go with it. My sewing skills are none existent so felt and the glue gun were my crafting friend.


We love Skippyjon Jones books at our house. Spencer received the new one, "Spippyjon Jones Lost in Spice." I found a skippyjon jones doll on amazon (love that site!) and I made a simple mask out of felt.


I made a magnet board for my mom to hang up art work from her grandkids. (There is an individual magnet for each grandchild.)


Even though it did require some late nights I really enjoyed a more heart felt gift giving. Definitely a tradition!

No comments:

This is Halloween Nite!

October 28 - November 3, 2018 Sunday, 10.28 Monday, 10.29 Tuesday, 10.30 Wednesday, 10.31 Thursday, 11.01 Friday, 11.02...